Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Thank God it's not Friday

One Wednesday morning I was at work, thinking about how glad I was that it was "hump day." Once you're finished with Wednesday, you are over the hump of the week... then it's all downhill. A busy Thursday, already sunnier with the promise of Friday. Then Friday, glorious Friday! On Friday night, we'll pop some popcorn, snuggle up with our favorite cat, and watch a movie. Lovely, beautiful, fresh, Friday. Everything is wonderful on Friday.

I sat there in happy anticipation of Wednesday night, the lead-in to Thursday which ushers in Friday, and mused about the weekend ahead. I thought about Saturday's plans... then Saturday afternoon and onto Saturday night. Next comes Sunday. Sunday, which is poisoned by Monday.

And then, as I thought about it, I realized that Saturday night was poisoned by the poison of Sunday... and that leaked into Saturday afternoon, which colored Saturday morning and - well, before I knew it, the only time that mattered was about four hours on Friday when I got home from work and felt completely free. Friday night - dinner, movie, bed. I was horror-struck. This is my life? This is what I am living for?

That's when I realized I was wishing my life away a week at a time. The only true value my life held was that tiny four hour window. I was living life from Friday night to Friday night. Movies are great - but when I'm watching a movie, I'm not learning anything, developing myself, or doing something for the benefit of another. Out of 168 hours each week, I was putting all the value of my life into those 4 little hours.

I decided, sitting at my desk on that Wednesday morning, that was the best time of the week. That moment, that morning with the people I had been working with - people I had come to care about - people who mattered to me... that morning was the BEST moment of my week. And I determined to stop squandering my precious time, to stop wishing it away, to stop living from Friday night to Friday night, and to make every moment of my life the best moment of the week.

As I sit here right now, I am very fortunate to be in the best moment of my week. It's Wednesday morning.

© 2010 by Alice Clearman Fusco

No comments: